Thursday, December 30, 2010

Poor Ollie

I have so much to tell you about our holidays (do you mind hearing about our December all through January, because that's how it's going to be?) but I've been so preoccupied.  Here's the reason you haven't been hearing from me.
 Poor Oliver has not been doing well.  He's been having seizures (his fourth was yesterday) which have meant multiple trips to the ER, doctors visits, lots of tests, and lots of worry.
Today was the big test that we've been waiting for, the EEG, which will hopefully shed a little light on what's going on.
 I never thought I would want to see him this way, but it was a relief. We've been so worried about him and we've been feeling so helpless so this is one small thing that might lead to some help.
We should have the results from our neurologist within a week.  Best case senario would be that the seizures are just caused by breath-holding spells and nothing more complicated is going on.  When Ollie gets hurt or upset, he lets out a loud cry and then he stops breathing.  He basically suffocates until he passes out.  Usually he's just out for a moment, but sometimes, he has a seizure afterwards.  The breath-holding spells are scary, but the seizures are terrifying.  If his seizures are just caused by breath-holding spells, there is nothing that we can do, but most kids grow out of breath holding spells around the age of two so we're hoping that the EEG doesn't show anything else going on.

We had to sleep deprive Ollie for the EEG so it was a rough day at Casa Ford that we are all looking forward to putting behind us.  Poor Ollie was worn out.
The crazy part was that when Ollie was born, my friend Kristin, one of the other designer for Sycamore Street Press, was also in the same hospital with her newborn, Sullivan, so we got to hang out in the hospital together.  Sullivan was also at Children's Hospital today so we lectured the boys that they have got to stop meeting this way.
Here's hoping life gets better for both of these boys!

17 comments:

Bavonia said...

Sending your family and sweet Ollie prayers and love! I know in my heart everything will be okay!
xoxo
Heather

taniawillis said...

oh steph! huge (((HUGS))). praying for your sweet boy.

Kate @ Love and Kate said...

Oh my gosh -- that sounds incredibly scary! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. LOVE!

Linsey said...

Poor baby. I hope they find the problem and that is it the best case scenario.

Mom said...

I haunt you blog every day looking for family news...I also pray for your babies every day, just so you know. Sending love and prayers and good energy your way...HUGS - Mom cat

Heather said...

Oh Steph, I'm so sorry you have all had a stressful Christmas and worry time. I'm praying for you baby Ollie! I'm sure the smart docs there will figure out the best things to do. Love you, Heather

Sephalo said...

I'm so sorry that happened Steph, how scary! I hope everything works out and ends up being fine. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers for sure!

Pixie said...

Praying that it's nothing more.

Megan said...

<3

malia said...

oh stephanie, i'm so sorry about ollie. my friend's little baby has seizures (here is her blog: http://beatingepilepsy.blogspot.com/). hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Shar said...

i hope the news that comes back is great and that ollie is doing okay! we're sending prayers and hugs your way too. :) and warm thoughts since this utah weather is sooo cold.

Amy @ OurScoop said...

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry!!!! I hope you find the answers you need. Hang in there. I HATE to watch a little one go through those things. My thoughts are with you guys!

Nikki said...

Lots of love and prayers are coming your way. And to think I thought I had a rough week. I love you all and will be waiting for new goods about Ollie. Hugs . . .

Michelle said...

Woof that hurts my heart! I hope it all works well. My prayers are totally with you guys right now!

Melinda said...

I'm glad you're doing the test. I've been so worried about him! Love to you and let me know what I can do to help you out!

Kim said...

Steph,
I am so sorry, that has got to be really scary. Your family will be in our prayers.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Oh man, so scary! I hope you get some answers soon!!