Monday, March 08, 2010

Bookshelf Rotation


About once a month or so, I rotate the books in the shelf that my dad made for Creed's room. I usually pick some kind of theme related to what is going on in our lives or the time of the year (which is easy for me because we own a million books, but you could easily do the same thing with library books).

Creed loves to read the same books over and over so I always end up adding a few of his favorites in there too, but this has really helped him explore new books. We have books all over the house, but we tend to read the ones in Creed's room before naps and bedtime. I know a lot of you dear readers have toddlers too so I thought that maybe some of you might like updates once in a while of what we're reading. This month, we reading books about babies and books about spring animals. Last month, we read books about bedtime (which we are really struggling with), snow, and love.
Here are a few of the books that made it onto Creed's shelf:

Babies
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
Oh, David! by David Shannon
Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems
Julius Baby of the World by Kevin Henkes
Hello Baby by Mem Fox, Illustrated by Steve Jenkins
Pirates Don't Change Diapers by Melinda Long, Illustrated by David Shannon

Spring Animals (ducks, bunnies, chicks)
Duck on a Bike by David Shannon
Tickle The Duck by Ethan Long
Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins
Big, Bad Bunny by Franny Billingsly
Webster J. Duck by Martin Waddell
Duck and Goose by Tad Hills
Come Along, Daisy! by Jane Simmons
Gossie & Gertie by Olivier Dunrea
My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

Bedtime
Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
How do dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Jane Yolen
Don't let the Pigeon Stay Up Late by Mo Willems
There's An Alligator Under My Bed by Mercer Mayer
Dinosaur Vs. Bedtime by Bob Shea

5 comments:

shellydinger said...

Great titles! Where do you keep the books that are off rotations?

Nikki said...

Steph - thanks so much for sharing this. I recently went to your Literary blog for inspiration and I welcome it all. I'm sorry I haven't been back in touch re: bedtime routines . . . I'll call you tonight.

Unknown said...

Hello there! I found you via your robot party post on Ohdeedoh (from which I am completely envying those t-shirts). I am trying to throw one together for my boy in three days!!

Anyway, I love your blog and we MUST live close by-- I'm near the Foothill toy store as well! I also miss yourheartout and appreciate your city shout-outs. Good stuff!

Jaci said...

Fun blog! So glad Studio5 blog spotted you today! I love a good blog with some flare and cute kids. :)

Random.... is Lisa your sister or sis-in-law? I met her like 6 years ago when I was visiting my friend, who was nannying in CT. Lisa, Katie (the friend) and my self had a lovely night driving into the city).... Blurry but fun memory. I think Lisa has commented on my blog since then but maybe I'm dreaming. Hope she's doing well!
Sorry for the rambling. Darling family you have!

Danielle said...

we do the same thing with our bookshelf similar to yours (except I bought mine from Walmart). This time every book is about trains (pretty sure he'd be okay if I NEVER rotated these books out). And I was just trying to figure out what our next theme would be...perhaps I'll do a mixture of Easter books and animals as well. :)