Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Byron Lee Borup

I know I've been missing, but to be honest, it's been a tough month and we all needed some time to recoup.

Last Sunday, my Grandpa, Byron Lee Borup didn't wake up.  We arrived home from church to messages that he was in a coma and the family was gathering to say their goodbyes.  He had terminal cancer, but I think it still came as a bit of a shock to all of us.  He was up and joking around the day before, and then he just never woke up.  

Hearing my family express hope that he might still wake up and say goodbye and it might still be days before he passed away nearly broke my heart.  Larry and I had been through this just weeks before with Grandpa Ford and after seeing Grandpa Borup in almost identical condition, we both felt it likely that it would not be long and he would not wake up.

He slipped away around 8:30 that evening.  Although everyone was sad, we all knew that Grandpa Borup was really worried about being in a lot of pain in the end, and it was a relief that he passed away so peacefully.
He was a really amazing man that I've been lucky enough to have as a role model.

His passing was such a different experience than Grandpa Ford's.  It was so hard to see Grandpa Ford go, and since there were only the three grandchildren and their families, there was such a flurry of responsibilities afterward.  With Grandpa Borup, we were surrounded by family and support, and I almost felt guilty that I got to be there the day he passed away and my sisters didn't because there was this amazing feeling of family love that I can't even find the words to describe.

We'd spent the day going through old scrapbooks, reading old letters, and hearing stories about him, and it just was an affirmation of what I've always known: that I was lucky to know him.




I remember a few years ago, my dad telling me that his dad was the most kind, tender-hearted person he has even known.  I think that's the best complement that you could ever get, and if my son said the same thing about me someday, I would consider my life a success.

20 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh Steph, My heart breaks for you and your family. What a difficult month this has been. I loved reading your thoughts on Grandpa Ford and Grandpa Borup. Hugs and loves from us to you, Larry and Creed. We'll be out there in a couple weeks maybe we can get together again.

My Life as a Dog said...

Hi Stephanie. It was good to see you at the funeral. I "enjoyed" it very much even with all the tears. You have such a wonderful family! Uncle B was one of my favorites.

My Life as a Dog said...

Oh and I really like the new layout. :)

Heather said...

a difficult month is right. Wish I could give you a big hug right now. I'm so glad to see all the family got to gather and reminisce about the good times. Your family is in our prayers.

jaY said...

I'm sorry for your guys loss. You all are in our prayers. Give our love to your fam.

Reba said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost another loved one.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

Steph, I can see a little bit of your grandpa in your smile, and I think you are well on your way to being as incredible a person as he was. What a wonderful example to look up to. We're thinking of you...

Bryt, Liz (Ed), and Ellie Christensen said...

Wow what a month-eh? We need to go do some FUN stuff!

Melinda said...

I hope you are doing okay and got my message. We miss you around here...come hold our fresh baby soon and hopefully we can make you smile. Love you!

Kelly L said...

Hey Steph,

My heart goes out to you and all of the difficult times you have had as of late. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and can't wait to see you (next month--I think). Sending you lots of love and good wishes!

taniawillis said...

(((HUGE HUGS))) steph. praying that the sweet, sweet memories will carry you through your lifetime as you grieve the loss of your grandfathers.

Mom said...

I am so sorry for your loss - Mom Cat

KIC said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I was sad when I heard about your grandfather's passing.

candice said...

Hi Stephanie,

I just came across your blog today & I'm so sorry to read about your Grandpa Ford and Grandpa Borup's passing.

You are in my thoughts
Hugs from Melbourne, Australia

Candice
x

WendyandGabe said...

I noticed that you haven't posted for a month and I just wanted to let you know that I've missed your blog and I hope all is well.

ellen said...

I miss your blog!

Paulina said...

Hi I stumbled across you blog a while back when I was taking a photography class from Candice. Miss your blogs. I hope everything is ok. Take care,

Paulina from California

Nikki said...

We miss you and your blog, Steph.

Katherine said...

I miss seeing that cutie boy Creed! I hope you guys are doing well!! Call me sometime!