Sunday, March 22, 2009

Robot Party- Part 2

I tried to come up with a party favor that was practical but still fun.  Since we didn't invite many kids, I had time to make robot shirts for all the kids.  I used the freezer paper stencil method.  

If you haven't tried it before, here are some quick directions.  Draw a simple design or print one on the computer.  Tape freezer paper to a cutting mat (freezer paper is parchment paper with a waxy plastic backing that sticks to fabric when you iron it, but peels off easily.  You can usually find it by the aluminum foil at the grocery store).  Tape your design onto the freezer paper and then use an exacto to cut out the places that you want color.  Once it's all cut out, iron the freezer paper onto your fabric or t-shirt.  Here's how mine looked.
Put some paper underneath in case the paint bleeds through and then fill in your design with fabric paint (you can buy fabric paint at the craft store and it's pretty cheap).  A lot of people just like to dap on the paint using a sponge brush, but I like using a paint brush and stroking from the edges in.
You will probably need at least two coats to get the color even.  Let the paint dry between each coat or use a blow dryer to speed up the process.  It should look something like this.
Then just let the paint dry before you peel off the freezer paper.  If you use the metallic paint like the silver shirt, you might want to peel the paper off before it's totally dry because the metallic paint was thicker/rubbery so I think it might tear if you let it totally dry.

Here are my finished projects (in my dimly lit basement.  Sorry about the lighting)
I didn't come up with any of the designs myself, I just adapted them and added a heart to each one.






13 comments:

My Life as a Dog said...

Um, you are amazingly creative and incredibly talented! Plan a party for me. ;)

Reba said...

Steph,

These are incredible! I've been wanting to try the freezer paper method for awhile. Thanks for the inspiration!

jaY said...

WOW...everytime i look at one of ur blogs, i feel TOTALLY inadequate and uncreative. DOUBLE WOW. u got skillz

Taunya said...

Oh sweet Sally girlie! These are so stinkin cute. I love love love this idea!

Meggan said...

Wow, where in the world did you get those robot designs? I really would love to make a shirt for my son because he loves robot's.

Cassie L. said...

I don't even know if I like you right now. Holy heck. Ok...I do like you.

TheresaK said...

This is the best idea evah!!!!!!!!

gtka3 said...

So Cute, I love them!

Tammy said...

So so so adroable!!! Any chance you'd be willing to share the robot stencils?? :)

Unknown said...

Um...stephanie. You can't be serious. You are my party hero. This is Mike Garner's sister Mandy!!! I LOVE the T's and the...well everything! How! How do you have so much time! Creed. Can I be your sister?

♥ JB said...

Can I print out the Robots that you created for the shirts anywhere?

they are soooo cute!

Anonymous said...

Your cousin Brian sent me this link after seeing an iron-on robot shirt I did for my son. These are really, really great. (And quite a bit more work than an iron-on too.) Those were some lucky birthday party attendees.

Anonymous said...

I would love to know where you got the robot designs. My husband and I are always trying to avoid the one second toy party favors. Love this idea