Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Once Upon A Time Design

So do you remember that box on my porch that marked the beginning of a new project? Well, I'm finally ready to tell you about it!

First a little back-story. When I was little the Cleaning Fairy used to visit our home. She would leave treats if she found our house was clean, and she would leave notes telling us she was a little disappointed if she stopped by when the house was dirty and she said she would be back soon to give us a second chance to get some treats so we would hurry to clean things up.

I think those memories are part of why I was so enchanted when Candice showed me Jonathon Wright's Urban Fairy site. Jonathon lives in an old house in Michigan and as he was remodeling his home, he kept "discovering" fairy doors. Apparently fairy doors are an Irish tradition, but usually they are much more rustic and you find them in gardens. Jonathon discovered "urban" fairies in their home. He has two little girls who loved the tiny doors. He went all out and even designed some little rooms in his walls and fireplace with tiny armchairs and staircases inside. So cute! You have to check them out if you have time.

The old section of downtown Ann Arbor wasn't doing too well, and Jonathon wanted to help so he started installing fairy doors at businesses around town and now people go to visit all of them. His doors are so ornate and amazing so of course I wanted one, but he doesn't sell them, and I couldn't find cool fairy doors like his ANYWHERE. So what's a girl to do? Make her own of course and then make some extras to share the fun.

I just opened my own etsy shop. I still need to make a few adjustments to the shop, but I'm so happy with how the doors have turned out so far. Here are pictures of a few of the doors.


I think it would be so fun if different kinds of fairies lived in each home. You could have a library fairy who leaves books for different special occasions, or a travel fairy that lives you tickets and travel plans. A movie fairy that brings you different movies to watchor a junk food fairy that leaves behind treats. What kind of fairy would you want at your house?

13 comments:

lisa h. said...

congratulations! i didn't realize you could use etsy to sell things, how fun. that is a fun idea for kids to have a fairy door...i like the travel fairy.

Kenny, Tara, Ashley said...

Wow Steph, you never cease to amaze me with your fun ideas and creativity. I love it! I think it is awesome and so cute and fun! You are amazing!

Robin said...

Would it be greedy to request a money fairy?? Then I could get just about anything, that is, as long as she's a generous one!
Cute idea Steph!

Elisa said...

Darling! I love the fairy ideas!

Reba said...

These turned out soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
cute.

The pink dutch door is my favorite. I also like the one with the star and the one with the mail slot and the gold one with the numbers. They're so cute I can't choose.

I think I'd like a fresh flower fairy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am SO excited!! I was telling David the other day about the fairy doors . . . and more specifically, that Audrey NEEDS a fairy door!! We will definitely purchase a door from you - they are beautiful, Steph!! Do you mind if I post a link on my blog to your shop?

michelle said...

Oh my goodness, these are so cute!! Hard to choose, but I think maybe I like the last one the best. I have never heard of fairy doors, but it sounds like a fun tradition.

J* said...

Stephanie,
I'm so in love with these!!! Simply Delightful. Way to go and I'm headed to Etsy right now. I've been telling everyone about fairy doors and now I can send them to your shop. Congrats.
~Jessica

TX Girl said...

I cannot believe how absolutely adorable they are. I am having a terrible time which one to get for my 3 year old. I cannot wait to order one. Decisions, decisions.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the fairy door you made for Audrey - and the amazing pictures Nikki took of them holding hands. Gosh, Steph - I miss you so much! Are you interested in the Jane AUsten movie? Opens August 10th (Elle's b'day) Can we make a date to go together? I can arrange Grandpa Ken to stay with Creed - ??

Shannon Sundberg said...

Stephanie:
You are absolutely amazing. I seriously don't know how you do it. Maybe you can rub a little of your talent off on me when you join us out here. You are such a good mom and wife! WOW! WOW! WOW! I am definitely impressed. Hope all is well.
Love Shannon

Faith W said...

Stephanie,

Oooo - I have always had a soft spot for fairies! Love these, so creative and brilliant. Congrats.

Faith

Unknown said...

Those a very cute!!! I actually just came across your Etsy shop last night and am trying to convince my hubby that our little girl needs one. ;)

YOU ROCK!